Essential Boiler information for landlords

Am I responsible for my property’s boiler?

Health & Safety Executive (HSE): According to the Health & Safety Executive as a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.

You are responsible for the maintenance and repair of flues, appliances and pipework which you own and have provided for your tenants use by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Although there is no prescribed time frame for these duties, good practise would be the demonstration of regular, annual maintenance checks and subsequent repairs.

How often should a boiler be serviced?

A Landlord Gas Safety Inspection / Certificate CP12 has to be issued every 12 months annually by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer, as well as before a tenancy starts and on a tenant change.

It is a requirement that all gas appliances owned by the landlord are listed, even new appliances.

Once a Landlord Gas Safety Inspection / Certificate CP12 has been completed it has to be given to the tenant within 28 days of issue or on the start of a tenancy.

Gas Safety Check is for gas safety purposes only in accordance with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

What is involved in a service?

Flues will be inspected visually and checked for satisfactory evacuation of products of combustion.

A detailed internal inspection of the flue integrity, construction and lining will not be carried out.

The Gas Safety Check examines the 4 main safety features for the gas appliances inspected:

  • Effectiveness of any flue
  • Supply of combustion air
  • Operating pressure or heat input, or where necessary, both.
  • Operation so as to ensure the safe functioning of the appliance.

Whether the property is privately owned or rented, as standard practice during the Gas Safety Check we also:

  • Test the soundness of the whole gas system,
  • Test the installation pipework
  • Conduct a visual inspection of the gas pipework and meter installation

What information is required?

Where possible, heating engineers will follow the manufacturers operating data contained in the appliance installation instructions or on the nameplate inside the appliance cover. Find out more. 

All customers will have to ensure that these are available to us before undertaking any work.

In the absence of manufacturers instructions, we will:

  • Use generic instructions as advised by Gas Safe Register
  • Obtain a copy of the instructions from the manufacturer and charge the customer
  • Call the manufacturer telephone helpline to obtain the data required and charge the customer

Legal requirements of landlords

  • You may be asked to pay for a Landlord/Homeowner Gas Safety Record in advance of either the Gas Safety Check itself or in advance of the issue of the Record.
  • In issuing Landlord/Homeowner Gas Safety Records, we are legally required to follow the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
  • When heating engineers inspect a customers property, they may identify appliances that are unsafe.

Irrespective of whether appliances or installations are found to be safe or unsafe, our charges in relation to the Gas Safety Checks and Reports remain valid and payable in full.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

There is no substitute for annual safety checks carried out by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer on Carbon Monoxide Alarms. If you do not have an alarm, or need a new one, click here.

For the added safety of your tenants, Plumbing services strongly recommend you fit an officially approved audible carbon monoxide alarm in every property and make certain it is tested monthly and that it complies with EN 50291. Read more here.

It must have a British or European approval mark on it, such as a Kitemark.

Carbon monoxide has no odour or visibility, so an audible alarm is the only way to detect harmful levels in the property.

If your tenants report that they are suffering from headaches, nausea, chest pains or dizziness, and feel better when away from the property, encourage them to report it to you immediately and seek medical attention.

If you are letting or renting a property you should never attempt to install or repair a gas appliance yourself in an attempt to save money.

This is breaking the law and putting lives at serious risk.

HSE ( Health and Safety Executive) gives gas safety a high priority and will take the appropriate action to ensure compliance with the regulations. If your tenants suspect a gas appliance isn’t working correctly, ask them to turn it off and report it to you immediately so you can contact a Gas Safe Registered Engineer for advice.

If ever in doubt, call the National Grid on 0800 111 999.

Always use a Gas Safe Registered Engineer. Be gas safe.